Sunday, June 17, 2018

Father's Day 2018

(Topics: Grief, loss, infant loss, Father's Day)



Dear Friends,

The year Charlie was born, Father's Day fell on June 19th, and it was a Sunday. That morning, after a long and emotional weekend, I gave birth to our beautiful little baby boy, and we spent my husband's first Father's Day mourning our first child.

I can't imagine what that was like for him.

I know how hard Mother's Day is for me, and it's not near Charlie's birthday. Will tomorrow be hard for hubby? I'm certain it will. Unfortunately, he has to work... he took Charlie's birthday itself off, which this year is 2 days later on Tuesday, and he has the kind of job where he only gets so many days off. Bonus, he'll be working with children (at least not small babies... I'm guessing that would be harder).

I asked him if there was anything special he wanted to do for that day, but given the work schedule, there weren't a lot of options, and hubby didn't ask for anything special. Last year I made sure to get him a Father's Day card, and that's about it. I'm not going to spill the beans on here about what he'll get tomorrow, but I will be making a point of acknowledging the day. I'm also planning to give extra hugs.

If you have Father's Day traditions, especially if they incorporate loss, I would love to hear about them - please comment on this post. This year, we aren't doing anything major.

Lots of love to all the daddies out there who have a baby they love and miss. You are daddies, and you are wonderful. To you I wish a gentle Father's Day.



Yours,

Sarah

To subscribe, find the "subscribe by email" note in the left column and enter your email there. Posts will be emailed directly to you whenever I post them!

Resource list: Visit my spreadsheet at www.tinyurl.com/infantloss

No comments:

Post a Comment