Guess what?? I finally finished the apron I've been meaning to make for ages!
- Type: 1860s-style apron
- Date made: spring 2014
- Pattern: Elizabeth Stewart Clark's apron pattern
- Fabric/Materials: blue plaid 100% cotton "homespun" from JoAnn's - so, nothing fancy, and it has a "dishrag" soft texture
- Trim: none
- Time to finish: a few days of on-and-off work
This apron has only 1 machine-sewn seam. I did the rest by hand. This allowed me to do it as a portable project.
I also left the sides unhemmed, since they are the selvages.
Since this was an apron I really wanted to wear soon, I actually end up wearing the apron at the Memorial Day reenactment in Painesville, and pinning and sewing the pockets while wearing it!
Waistband, pinned and pre-sewing. The pleating of the apron is encased in the waistband, and then beyond the apron, the waistband turns into ties like in this picture.
The apron! No pockets or pinner (bib) yet in this picture.
... And below, the apron in action, with the pinner (bib) pinned up, and the pockets sewn on! It's very long, so it protects my dress well, and I really like how it turned out!
Things to change next time I make this pattern: maybe try a crisp cotton, or make it (just very very slightly) shorter. And make the ties way longer!! There is a short little bow in the back but long ties would be much easier. Let's be honest: I just want an excuse to have another apron or three in other prints!
(This picture taken at Fort Meigs in Perrysburg, Ohio.)
Most sincerely yours,