Showing posts from December, 2013

1920s dress!

Ladies and Gents,
I was recently asked by a friend to help make them a 1920s costume for a one-time event. I agreed - this could be a fun challenge!
It's not an era I know much about, so I threw myself headlong into research.
One of the notable things I found out is that skirts were not as short as I would have thought! Towards the beginning of the 20s they were quite long - midcalf or longer, sometimes - and only got shorter (though still below the knee usually) by the end of the decade.
The costume I made is not a reproduction. It is in the style of or inspired by and is intended to give the observer the impression of the 20s - but I make no claims to absolute accuracy!

Garment Data:
- Type: Dress, 1920s style, slightly flapper-esque and possibly less-fancy evening wear
- Date made: December 2013
- Pattern: None.
- Fabric/Materials: I used a dress found at Goodwill that had approximately the right shape, including a lace overlay, and went from there.
- Trim: Fringe, ribbon, feat…


Yep, Ladies and Gents, I once tried to make a sock.
.... the yarn is now incorporated into an afghan...

Garment Data:
- Type: SOCK
- Date made: Well, it was never finished... (I don't actually know when I started. I unraveled it in 2008 or so)
- Pattern: None, I made it up as I went along!
- Fabric/Materials: Cotton yarn
- Time to finish: um...

There are a few things I will do differently the next time I attempt a sock (or two):

Instead of it coming out looking smooth on the outside (knit) and bumpy on the inside (purl) since I just did knit in the round, I would instead do some sort of stockinette stitch to give it more give.I will use a more elastic yarn, like wool, or perhaps even an elasticized yarn.I will use bigger needles. I had quite a fine gauge going, and kept my tension quite tight, which also made it hard to work.I may even try one of the two-at-once techniques, so I don't end up with lonely socks, or with socks of two different sizes!I'll make the above-the-hee…

Winter Hats

Dear friends!
By request, I'm posting pictures from a few years ago that I hadn't gotten around to posting yet. These are hats I made for friends and (when I get around to posting them) myself. They're quite warm! I tested them :)

Garment Data:
- Type: Winter Hat
- Date made: Some time during the years 2003-2008
- Pattern: None. I used what I know about shaping and increasing/decreasing to draft the pattern as I went.
- Fabric/Materials: Acrylic or Acrylic/wool blend yarn, polar fleece for lining.
- Trim: Made of same yarn

Most sincerely yours,
~ Sarah

A hatbox!

Well, Ladies and Gentlemen, I got fed up with finding my bonnets squashed at the bottom of my trunk. I sprang for a cardboard, undecorated hatbox at the craft store, and just spent the day with a bottle of Mod Podge, a sponge brush, some paper napkins, and some tissue paper. What fun!

Garment Data:
- Type: Hatbox
- Date made: (well, decorated, really) 12/07/13
- Pattern:
- Fabric: (materials): Cardboard hatbox from craft store, paper napkins, fancy tissue paper (more like lightweight wrapping paper, actually. I was disappointed), Mod Podge.
- Trim: Lace, knit lacing.
- Time to finish: One afternoon.
- Notes:

Well, I forgot to take a "before" picture, but here's the LINK: JoAnn's Hat Box.

I then started with a base layer of red for the bottom of the box, and a tissue paper with swirls for the sides and top. Autumn-themed paper napkins (and some careful scissor work!) provided the leaves and the leaf-strewn stripes, and a Valentine's-Day-Themed napkin provided the …