Thursday, December 26, 2013

THE DREADED SOCK

Yep, Ladies and Gents, I once tried to make a sock.
.... the yarn is now incorporated into an afghan...

Garment Data:
- Type: SOCK
- Date made: Well, it was never finished... (I don't actually know when I started. I unraveled it in 2008 or so)
- Pattern: None, I made it up as I went along!
- Fabric/Materials: Cotton yarn
- Time to finish: um...


You can see that I was working from top to toe, and had already turned a passable heel.

I just kept increasing in the right place until it looked like i had enough turn to make a sock. I don't know the angle, but it was not 90 degrees.

There are a few things I will do differently the next time I attempt a sock (or two):

  1. Instead of it coming out looking smooth on the outside (knit) and bumpy on the inside (purl) since I just did knit in the round, I would instead do some sort of stockinette stitch to give it more give.
  2. I will use a more elastic yarn, like wool, or perhaps even an elasticized yarn.
  3. I will use bigger needles. I had quite a fine gauge going, and kept my tension quite tight, which also made it hard to work.
  4. I may even try one of the two-at-once techniques, so I don't end up with lonely socks, or with socks of two different sizes!
  5. I'll make the above-the-heel section longer. I know this is a personal taste and aesthetic thing, but honestly I'd probably never have worn that sock even if I had finished it, because it didn't go up high enough!

Well, I'll let you know if/when I make another one. I wonder what that will look like?

... and how long it will take me to finish???

Most sincerely yours,
~ Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment